Radon & lung cancer. We write about it all of the time. Often times, people wonder HOW exactly radon causes lung cancer.
How does radon cause lung cancer?
The scientific answer is that radon decays quickly. As it decays, it gives off tiny radioactive particles. When we breath those particles in, they can damage cells that line the lungs. Long term exposure to these radioactive particles, or radon, can lead to lung cancer. Lung cancer is the only cancer that has been proven to be associated with inhaling radon.
The layman’s answer is that radon is a poisonous gas. The more of it you breath in, the higher your chances are at developing lung cancer.
What can I do about radon & lung cancer?
Radon & lung cancer are a deadly combination. When radon & lung cancer are handled appropriately, they do not have to be a problem. The EPA recommends having your home tested for radon. If your levels are higher than 4.0 pCi/L, you should have your have a radon mitigation system installed. Mitigation systems help to remove radon from your home by redirecting it. This is typically done by venting the radon outside of your home through sub slab depressurization. It is always best to have a radon mitigation system installed by a licensed professional.
What can Trinity Electrical & Radon Mitigation do for you?
We specialize in creating custom systems to remove radon from your home. Each radon mitigation system we install is customized for the home it is being installed into. If you have a radon issue in your home, give us a call today. We’d be more happy to discuss the best way to reduce your levels. We offer free phone estimates. Call our offices at 630-554-1492 to talk with one of our licensed radon professionals today!
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.
Electrical safety isn’t always at the top of everyone’s Christmas list. But it should be. According to a consumer survey done by ESFI, 86% of Americans decorate their homes as a part of their winter holiday celebrations. 60% of those individuals use extension cords.
There is an unexplainable magic when it comes to holiday lighting, pushing electrical safety down in people’s minds. However, even in the splendor of Christmas decorations, homes that use electrical decorations are at an increased risk for fires & electrical injuries when not used properly.
We want to give you the gift of electrical safety this holiday season, so we’ve put together a list of some electrical safety tips.
Holiday Safety Tips
- When planning which lights & extensions cords to use for your outside decorations, be sure they are outside rated. Even when a cord is outside rated, it is important that you keep them clear of standing water & protected from the elements.
- Be sure that the power cords you are using meet or exceed the needs of the devices you plan on plugging into it.
- Do not overload extension cords or power strips. You should never chain together multiple power strips. Plug power strips into an actual outlets.
- Do not run extension cords through walls, doorways, windows, or smashed under heavy furniture. Remember, extension cords are not a long term solution. They are to provide temporary power for a limited time.
- Examine all cords for signs of wear or tear. Replace worn or frayed cords immediately.
- Never string together more than three strands of incandescent lights. Consider purchasing LED lights. They run cooler & use less energy than incandescent lights.
- Unplug any decoration before replacing a bulb or fuse.
- Remember to unplug or turn off all of your electrical decorations before leaving home & going to sleep.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s use & care instructions.
- Always keep a watchful eye on small children around Christmas decorations. Lights & other decorations can be a choking hazard & can cause electrical shock if a child were to try to put it in his mouth.
Everyone here at Trinity wishes you a very Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year. If you need help with electrical safety this holiday season, give us a call at 630-499-1492.
Home radon testing is a great way to protect yourself & your family from the negative health effects of radon. Radon claims the lives of over 21,000 Americans each year.
Doing home radon testing is the only effective way to determine whether you and your family are exposed to high levels of radon. The U.S. Surgeon General recommends ALL homes be tested for radon gas.
Steps you can take to measure and reduce radon levels include:
- Purchasing a radon test kit
- Testing your home or office
- Testing is inexpensive and easy — it should only take a few minutes of your time. It requires opening a package and placing a small measuring device in a room and leaving it there for the desired period. Short-term testing can take from a few days to 90 days. Long-term testing takes more than 90 days. The longer the test, the more relevant the results are to your home and lifestyle.
- Sending the kit to appropriate sources to determine radon level
- Follow the directions on the test kit packaging to find out where to send the device to get the results.
- Fixing your home if radon levels are high
Home radon testing doesn’t have to be hard or time consuming. Whether you want a professional to come in to do the testing, or you want to do it yourself, it’s a great step to protecting yourself & your family. If you need more information about home radon testing, or want to remediate an existing issue, give our office a call at 630-499-1492. We are happy to help when it comes to any radon problems!
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer!